Spring Towards Healthy Feet
All month in April is National Foot Health Awareness Month, and it’s a great time to make sure your feet are healthy and ready for spring and summer. If you’re looking for some good tips on keeping your feet healthy in the coming months, Westfield Foot and Ankle has you covered:
- Play it smart - Warm weather might just make you want to kick off your shoes and let your feet soak up some sun. Be careful though! Going barefoot in public places - especially wet areas can lead to unwanted bacteria and fungus taking a vacation on your toes.
- Shop smart - Did you toss all the old shoes out of your closet during spring cleaning? If you’re looking to buy a new pair, make sure you get a proper fit. Ill-fitting shoes can cause blisters and sores on your feet. For the best fit, try your shoes on later in the day. Your feet change shape during the day, and that is when they’re at their most plump. If you’re buying online make sure you’re shopping reputable brands and check the reviews for helpful size tips.
- Moisturize - Coming out of a cold, harsh winter like we’ve had this year can keep your feet dry and cracked. A good way to help repair damaged skin is with a high-quality foot moisturizing cream. Whenever you step out of the shower, rub some on your feet to keep them healthy.
- Change your socks - Changing your socks in the middle of the day can prevent overly sweaty feet. When your socks get too wet, it can often lead to bad bacteria or fungal infections.
- Maintain good hygiene - Keep your nails trimmed well and always inspect your feet for any cracks, blisters, cuts, or noticeable changes.
If you’re looking for more tips to keep your feet healthy, Dr. David Sullivan and the friendly podiatry staff at Westfield Foot and Ankle are here for you. We have the tools and knowledge to help diagnose and treat a myriad of foot and ankle issues. Contact us online today or call our conveniently located Westfield office at 317-896-6655.