Fun Foot Facts
It’s safe to say that here at Westfield Foot and Ankle, LLC, we know a TON about feet! We talk a lot in our blogs and in our offices about issues that can arise in our feet and ankles, foot care tips for various scenarios, or any other number of medical-related topics. This week, we thought we’d focus on some of the fun stuff! If you care about feet as much as we do, you know how fascinating they can be! We put together a few fun foot facts that you might not have known!
Did you know?
- One-quarter of all your body’s bones are in your feet – 52 bones in each pair of feet!
- Most people have two different sized feet. That’s why it’s important to try shoes on both feet at the shoe store.
- There are around 250,000 sweat glands in each foot! You can produce up to half a pint of sweat every day.
- There are more nerve endings per square centimeter on the soles of your feet than on any other part of your body.
- 3 out 4 Americans will suffer from foot problems in their lifetime.
- Your feet are early warning systems of your body, sending off sirens for conditions like diabetes, arthritis, peripheral arterial disease, nerve and circulatory disorders, and more.
- The average person walks about 115,000 miles over their lifetime (that’s four times around the earth!)
- Gravity and the weight of your body during an average day of walking can add up to the weight of a fully loaded cement truck.
- Since the 1970s, people’s feet have grown an average of 2 sizes. This is to account for the increase in average weight over that same time period.
- In the first year of a baby’s life, their feet grow to about half of their adult size.
Aren’t our feet fascinating!? They do so much work and have such complex structures and mechanisms making them operate with the rest of our bodies. As great as feet are though, we know it’s not great when they are suffering!
If you are experiencing foot or ankle pain, Dr. David R. Sullivan here at Westfield Foot and Ankle, LLC, is here for you. He utilizes state-of-the-art diagnostic techniques and cutting-edge technologies to treat any foot or ankle woes. To schedule an appointment, contact us today. You can call our conveniently located Westfield, IN office at 317-896-6655.